Thursday, June 19, 2008

T.S. Eliot

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock:
This poem is about a man who struggles with his self image. He begins the poem by talking about the bad area of town that he hangs out in. He describes cheap hotels, half deserted streets, etc. This is the beginning of us seeing how he feels down on himself. Then he goes on to talk about how he feels when he walks into a room with people. He is very self conscience and worries that they talk about his bald spot, or that they point out that his legs and arms are so skinny. He is so uncomfortable in his own skin that he canot truly enjoy an evening out because he is so worried about what other people think of him. I have been out before and had very similar esperiences. He seems to be torn about whether or not he should go ahead and continue to persue the woman. He knows the people, he knows what they will say, but it is hard for him. It is like he is doing everything he would normally do, but this woman is really messing him up. I have been on dates where I have felt so uncomfortable so I understand exactly where the speaker is coming from. He also compares himself to different figures such as in line 83 he says "I am not prophet" then again in line 111 "No! I am not prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;" By comparing himself to big figures I feel that he is just re-assuring himself while at the same time putting himself down. He feels like he cannot help it that he was not born great, but then he is like but that is what people want. He says also that the "eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker/ and in short, I was afraid" 85-86. He feels like everyone is looking at him, talking about him, and picking out his flaws constantly. I believe he is a normal man, however when it comes to dating he gets extremely in secure and becomes a different person. I am sure in a normal setting that he is a great person to be around. He even says that "I have heard mermaids singing, each to each./ I do not think they will sing to me" 124-125. While this is sad, I got a chuckle when I he said I do not think they will sing to me. He is just so down on himself and feels like he is not worthy of anything. I do not really know why, except that he is just not confident in himself. Self confidence is something that some people have a very hard time with, and when a person gets down on there self like that they can be really negative and unpleasant to be around.

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Jenny,

Nice job in this post of focusing on a text, quoting specific passages, and exploring those passages in a detailed, engaged way. I like the way you connect Prufrock's experiences to your own (although I am sure you are by no means as socially incapacitated as Prufrock!). Very clear in this post that you are reading actively and critically, which is just what I had hoped for in these assignments.